Friday, February 24, 2012

Welcme To The World We Live In

Hello, everyone!  I hope that you will all enjoy this blog and what it has to offer, and I hope that you will each contribute to it in some way.  I wanted to talk briefly about why I created this blog and some of the issues that are currently inspiring my feminist activism. 

Us Pennsylvanians were unfortunately aware of the existence of Rick Santorum long before he slithered onto the national stage.  Now that he is a competitive candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, I find myself ducking under a chair in shame every time he mentions he is from this area.  It continually amazes me that he was so successful in southwestern Pennsylvania, and it amazes me further that he is doing so well now.  He's doing really, really well, as it turns out--even with women.  57 percent of conservative women approve of Santorum, according to an ABC-Washington Post poll conducted this past week.  This is disregarding the fact that Rick Santorum disapproves of abortion, birth control, amniocentesis, sex outside of the context of procreation, and single parents.  I would like to dissect the reasons women would approve of Rick Santorum, but that will have to come at a later date.

Besides the GOP race, which is at this point becoming a contest to see who hates women's rights the most, we have the continual hatred of Planned Parenthood, birth control access, abortion rights, the rights of women as autonomous human beings, slut-shaming, and victim-blaming to inspire our ire.  I hope to explore all of these topics soon--one or two of them later today, even--and I would love to hear what everyone else has to say about them.  Thank you very much for reading!  I hope you will all contribute to this blog in one way or another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment