Bad Song: I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry
In this lovely little gem, Katy Perry talks about getting really drunk and kissing another girl. I, in theory, have absolutely no problem with this notion. If we simply looked at this on the surface and heard the lines "I kissed a girl and I liked it!" it would be fine. Experimentation is good, figuring out what you like is good. But...it's when you look deeper...
This song is about the male gaze, plain and simple. There are plenty of women out there who think that they are taking their sexuality into their own hands by making out with other women in front of their boyfriends or guys that they want to hook up with to turn them on. And that's the problem--it's to turn on the GUYS, not the girls actually participating in the single-sex tonsil hockey. Katy Perry projects this perfectly-manicured image of the good girl gone bad: the sweet, innocent angel who went to a party, got too drunk and ended up locking lips with a random hot girl.
- There were 38 songs in the Top 100 that were either by female artists or male/female collaborations. There were 4 songs in the Top 10 that were by female artists. This is a new low so far in my adventures through the Top 100s of every year.
- I graduated high school in 2008. My graduation/prom song was Good Life by Kanye West and T-Pain, and it came in at number 79.
- There were lots of love and break-up songs this year that involved injury metaphors. "Bleeding Love", "Suffocate", "No Air"...I think this is kind of a weird trend. Fortunately it was contained within this year of pop music.
- I realize now that there are so few rock songs on the Top 100 for good reason. Rock music--or pop rock, at any rate--means something completely different now than it did in the '90s. Bands like Nirvana, Blind Melon and Sublime would be considered indie by today's standards. They have been replaced by dull rock bands like Nickelback, 3 Doors Down and Linkin Park. I can't wait to get back into the '90s and into some better rock music. Perhaps I will be proven wrong.
- God help me, I love Taylor Swift. I just can't help it. Go listen to "Our Song" and tell me you can resist that. I will tell you that you have a heart of stone.