Saturday, February 9, 2013

30 Days of Buffy and Feminism

 So I've been gone awhile, huh?  Well, I'm going to get back into blogging with one of my favorite topics: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and feminism.  This meme has been floating around Tumblr, and there are a few different versions that I've found.  I may try to do all the different ones I can find so this may go longer than 30 days. A few disclaimers before I get started.

1.  THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.  Most likely for all 7 seasons at one point or another.  So if you haven't watched all of the show, don't read this until you do.  I don't want to ruin this show for you.
2.  Speaking of 7 seasons, the only canon I am using for this is the TV show.  I have not read any of the comics that could be considered canon and I have not watched all of Angel yet (I know, I'm working on it!) so none of that will make appearances here.  So if I miss something about a character that happens in Angel, it's because I'm only working off seasons 1-7 of Buffy.
3.  Not all of this is going to be feminist ranting, there will be some days that I just have fun with it.  But be warned, there will also be a lot of instances of Reading Too Much Into It and Taking This Shit Too Seriously.  I am not only using Buffy as entertainment here but also as a sociological and cultural lens.  Note that there is a reason for choosing this show as subject for a feminist blog.  The creator, Joss Whedon, has discussed many times how feminist he is and how feminist this show is.  I agree with that in some ways more than others, but we'll get to that in the next month.
4.  I want my readers to participate!  I want comments.  If you have your own blog and you want to do this meme, let me know and I will link to it here.
5.  A lot of the times I'm not going to necessarily pick my first choice for something, I'm going to be picking an unexpected choice.  For example, who doesn't love Willow and Tara together or the episode Once More With Feeling?  I'll give a few runners-up or alternate choices for everything, though.
6.  I have a LOT of controversial opinions about this show.  You have been warned.

Okay, I'm going to post my Day 1 thoughts in a bit, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment